Friday, April 1, 2011

AFC Challenge Cup: Bangladesh vs Philippines Update 3

0 — 3
Bangladesh vs Philippines


So here’s my attempt in doing stats:

Bangladesh

Philippines
0
Goals
3
13 (7)
Shots Taken (on Target)
23 (11)
2
Corner
5
4
Offside
1 (?)
5
Free Kick
7
2
Yellow Card
0
0
Red Card
0
 

It’s harder that I thought, especially because the video quality was bad and the camera angles make it confusing.  So, in counting the Shots Taken and Shots on Target I made some judgment calls :P (FYI, there were like 9 crosses/set up/corner kicks that looked like it could be a Shot Taken but I didn’t count it as one).  Anyway, if you’re interested, I based this on the definition here.  The offside is a question mark coz I didn’t notice any for the Azkals but the commentator mentioned that Philippines had one, so I’m not sure if they got it wrong (coz sometimes they do get it wrong, so just to be sure, I counted it… I’ll just check in the replay and update this J).  Same as the previous game, I got the Corner Kick and Free Kick numbers from ABS-CBN but the rest I counted it myself.  We differ in the Shots Taken stat (they had Philippines-18 and Bangladesh-10). 

Goals:
            41st minute – Ian Araneta (Philippines)
55th and 80th minute – Angel Aldeguer Guirado (Philippines)

Yellow Cards:
            Sheikh MD. Mintu (Bangladesh)
Karim MD. Razaul (Bangladesh)

And again, I know this isn’t usually done, but I’m separating the figures of the 1st half from the 2nd half so you can see how the game changed from after halftime.  Coz sometimes a team starts slow at first and would pick up in the second half, or vice versa.  And if you just look at the over-all stats, sometimes it won’t tell you the complete story of the game, so here’s my 1st half-2nd half breakdown of the stats J


 
Bangladesh

Philippins
1st Half
2nd Half

1st Half
2nd Half
0
0
Goals
1
2
7 (3)
6 (4)
Shots Taken (on Target)
11 (5)
12 (6)
2
0
Corner
2
3
3
1
Offside
0
1(?)
2
3
Free Kick
3
4
0
2
Yellow Card
0
0
0
0
Red Card
0
0

You have probably read the news/reports on this game, but here are my two cents on this match (if you’re interested):

1)   First off, I loved the pre-match segment J  It’s always nice to hear from the coach, manager and the team to get some actual “behind the scenes” info on the game.  I have always wondered how the homegrown talents interact with the Fil-Foreigner players (fyi, I have a post coming up about “non-homegrown” talents … I’m just doing a bit of research, it’ll be out in a few days J).  It must be hard for Guirado since he can’t speak English, Tagalog or Cebuano.  Speaking of Cebuano, did you know that Fil-Icelandic (is this what you call people from Iceland? :P), Ray Jonsson speaks it fluently?

Headers!
photo courtesy of Craig Burrows and
Roy Moore of pinoyfootball.com.  More of their pics here
2)   Headers, headers, headers.  Did you notice a lot of headers in the game?  Guirado scored his 1st goal with one (btw, that was an amazing goal).  Araneta almost scored his second with a header.  And headers were also used to clear the ball a lot… I always wanted to do perfect headers, but I’m afraid of miscalculating and hit the ball with my face instead… and it really hurts if you hit your nose L
3)   They re-arranged the formation and I think Guirado worked well in his new position.  Was he an attacking mid-fielder?  He really made his presence felt in this match.  He helped with the defense in getting the ball back, made some great set ups for the offense and he even scored two goals himself :P  He looked quite intimidating on the pitch…I wouldn’t want to play against a guy like him. 
4)   There were a lot of talk of how we were an attacking force to be reckoned with in this match (with 3 goals, 23 Shots and 11 On Target), but I think credit is also due to our defense.  They were very organized and compact in this match.  Bangladesh actually had some great passing and fluid team play but they just could not get past our tight defense.  And if they did, it was  because they were offside :P
5)   Twitter does not do justice to the game.  I really appreciate a lot the tweets from @DYANCASTILLEJO, @cedelfpt, @craigburrows and @roymondous to update us in the match, but it’s really different from actually watching the game.  I hope there’s a live telecast on the Azkals’ next match.

mystery solved
Photo from www.pinoyfootball.com by
Craig Burros and Roy Moore.  More pics here
6)   Mystery solved.  That’s Guirado under that pile, not Araneta.  That was after he scored the 3rd goal of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment